Walking the Pennine Way When I Was Eleven Stage 15: Slaggyford to Once Brewed

Start: Slaggyford
Finish: Once Brewed
Distance: 19 miles
Total Distance Walked: 203 miles
This was another of the less memorable stages of the walk. Most of it was through fields and moorland with little of note until the last few miles when we reached Hadrian's Wall.
My main memories of this stage come from our overnight stopover. We were staying at a campsite at Once Brewed, about half a mile from the Wall. As it was again the weekend the campsite was busy. We went to the pub for our evening meal. While we were there a posh gentleman was trying to keep his unruly children, Charles and Henry, under control. These boys were a little younger than my sister and I, possibly nine and seven years old, and were behaving as boys of that age sometimes do. They were messing about and being a bit noisy which caused the pub's landlord to tell them off saying that by rights they shouldn't be in the pub. They calmed down a bit before leaving a little later.
The campsite was attached to a farm and my father had managed to arrange with the owner for my sister and I to have a bath at the B & B in the farmhouse. We found that the bathroom was occupied, Charles and Henry were in there. We waited for them to finish and took our turn. I remember a sign on the wall telling users of the bath to be "canny" and not use too much water. I hadn't heard this word and my Dad had to explain it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk 6: Southwell to Farnsfield via the River Greet

Walking the Pennine Way When I Was Eleven - Stage 17: Bellingham to Cheviot Camp

Walking The Pennine Way When I Was Eleven: Stage 18 - Cheviot Camp to Kirk Yetholm