pics lak
















In April 2009 I got the bus from Lancaster to Keswick and walked to Braithwaite before heading up into the hills.  I followed the flat track above Caudale Beck for two miles but didn't notice the path crossing the beck that I should have taken.  This meant that I found myself at the end of the valley having to scramble up a steep path by Low Force.  After that it was a pleasant day walking along the ridge to Hopegill Head and back to Grisedale Pike, which is a pleasing cone shaped mountain-top profile.  The decent to the Whinlatter Pass only took twenty minutes so I had time to look at the osprey camera at the visitor centre. 


In June 2008 I resumed my Land's End to John O'Groats walk.  I had finished the previous stage in Scales after climbing Blencathra.  This left me with a ridiculously long stage from there to Carlisle if I wanted to avoid an extra trip from my sister's near Lancaster.  I got the train to Penrith and bus to Scales and started at 11.  I walked round the bottom of the northern fells to Mungrisdale and Mosedale.  From there I went up into the hills and up to High Pike from where the pictures are taken.  I went down into Caldbeck and, after some problems route-finding, followed the Cumbria Way to Dalton and Carlisle.  On the way  I passed an American lad who had turned back after discovering that the Cumbria Way went through mountains!  I made it to Carlisle at 8 o'clock and had to run to get the train after a 27 mile walk.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Walk 6: Southwell to Farnsfield via the River Greet

Walking The Pennine Way When I Was Eleven: Stage 18 - Cheviot Camp to Kirk Yetholm

Walking the Pennine Way When I Was Eleven - Stage 16: Once Brewed to Bellingham